Not as Easy as It Looks

This is just the mindless ramblings of a college graduate (double major in political science and criminal justice) and her attempts to join the United States military. You better start here...

10 July 2006

RIP Sgt. Benjamin Laymon
24 June 2006

"Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. Therefore do not take lightly the perils of war."
Thucydides


So...I've been really curious about one of my friends...I mean, he's over in Iraq and I haven't heard from him since June...and I found out he was killed over there. We weren't exactly CLOSE friends...but we joked around all the time about how we were gonna hook up...he's a big Irish guy...my favorite kind. Our last conversation was two days before he was killed. We were joking about how all these married guys seem to hit on me...he then asked if I was going to come visit him when he got back in the States...I said 'Maybe,' and he responded, 'I could get married if that's what you like.' I know a shit-ton of people in the military, many serving now in Iraq or Afghanistan. I was fortunate enough, until now, to not have to feel that pain of losing someone to this war. Ben was a good guy...always made me smile...Looking through our old messages, I asked him once how things were...his response? 'Its ok.....I'm not dead so thats a plus.' Every time I talked about how Michigan sucked, he said it was because I missed him so much...told me to be strong...lol...Also told me not to join the Marines or Army...go Air Force...told me I wouldn't like him anymore if I became a Jarhead. I'm sitting here crying and laughing as I read over our old conversations...he was such a dork...He was stationed at Ft. Hood with the 4ID, and I had told him I might be getting a job down with the Border Patrol in Corpus Christi..."You hand cuff me? I'll put on a straw hat. Ever seen a red headed, white Mexican?" I called him a dork and he called me a gringo...

...I don't know. It's just sad. I always told him to stay safe, and he always told me he would. *sigh* I don't even know the proper response to all this.

In the words of the Roman poet Horace, "Dulce et decorum est / Pro patria mori."

Talking to my friend Sean...a Marine...told him about Ben...told him I didn't know how to feel...it's new to me...so he told me, "Feel proud, you know someone who gave the ultimate sacrifice to give those people the same type of freedom that we have, he did a great thing."

Ben...I'm proud of you. I'm proud of everything you did...of everything you were...I'm proud to have known you. If there is a heaven, I'm sure you're there.

5 Comments:

  • At 10 July, 2006 22:24, Blogger SC said…

    My heart aches for all of his friends and family.

     
  • At 11 July, 2006 00:42, Blogger Unknown said…

    I am very sorry for your loss. Trivial words, I suppose, but the feeling is real.

     
  • At 11 July, 2006 19:13, Blogger ElimiNate said…

    Im sorry you lost a friend, it hurts. But your other friend Sean has the right of it. Be proud of Him.

     
  • At 06 August, 2006 21:03, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The husband of a good friend is deployed with the 4ID right now. I'm on a distribution list for "updates" that a 4ID veteran sends via email. He had some information in one of his updates about a memorial service held at Ft. Hood. Here is what an article about the service included about your friend:

    Sgt. Benjamin J. Laymon of the 1st Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment, enjoyed impersonating late comedian Chris Farley and was "a model noncommissioned officer," said Capt. Tom Kyne. Laymon and Sgt. Justin D. Norton died June 24 after encountering a roadside bomb and small-arms fire during a foot patrol.

    This update goes out to thousands of people across the country. I'm sure it's little consolation, but I thought you would want to know that there are many of us who know something of your friend and grieve his loss in our own ways even though we never met him.

    P

     
  • At 17 November, 2006 09:43, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Im glad you wrote about him. I keep a picture of Sgt. Laymon in my wallet at all times. It was given to me by a superior a few months ago so that I will always remember the reality of what we are doing over there. I will have his picture with me when I leave for Iraq in June, and I hope it brings me strength.

    Sgt. Laymon - Much thanks from a fellow soldier. RIP

     

Post a Comment

<< Home