Not as Easy as It Looks

This is just the mindless ramblings of a college graduate (double major in political science and criminal justice) and her attempts to join the United States military. You better start here...

19 March 2006

Diet? Check!

"You're a sexy, in-shape, dose of Irish heaven."
My friend Dennis...


Okay...according to the Harris-Benedict Formula, I need about 2530 calories to maintain my weight. I've set up a diet for me to follow that keeps my calories under 1600 calories, yet still provides me with everything I need. I rock. Haha...So, hopefully this will help me. Combined with the exercise I do, I should be good to go, again. I think finally writing out a eating plan has helped immensely. Especially since it includes five smaller meals (I was only eating three before) and has a good macronutrient ratio (50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat). I've got a coupla books on nutrition for runners that Imma look at too...I've got to stay on track and keep motivated. Hooah! Right?

If you're curious about how the Harris-Benedict formula works out, here ya go:

STEP ONE: BMR = 655 + (9.6 X weight in kilos) + (1.8 X height in cm) - (4.7 X age in years). (BMR = basal metabolic rate, the amount of calories your body burns just functioning) = 1631.4 calories for me

STEP TWO: Multiply BMR by activity level:
  • * If you are Sedentary - little or no exercise
    Calorie-Calculation = BMR X 1.2
  • * If you are Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week)
    Calorie-Calculation = BMR X 1.375
  • * If you are Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week)
    Calorie-Calculation = BMR X 1.55
  • * If you are Very Active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/week)
    Calorie-Calculation = BMR X 1.725
  • * If you are Extra Active (very hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training)
    Calorie-Calculation = BMR X 1.9

For me = 1631.4 x 1.55 (to stay conservative) = 2528.7 calories

Mind you, the above formula is for females. Click the link above and it'll show both male and female formulas.

1 Comments:

  • At 20 March, 2006 12:14, Blogger Mommy said…

    I think it's so great how you've taken the time to educate yourself on nutrition and whatnot. I can't stand it when people bitch about not losing weight and then you realize they aren't doing things properly b/c they haven't researched how to do it.

    I lost my weight by obviously eating better overall. But what REALLY made the difference was eating 6 times/day...approx. every 3-4 hours. I guess I kinda buy into the whole glycemic index thing as it made sense to me. So I eat every 3-4 hours like this: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, big post-workout dinner.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home