Not as Easy as It Looks

This is just the mindless ramblings of a college graduate (double major in political science and criminal justice) and her attempts to join the United States military. You better start here...

20 May 2006

Always Questionin'

"Exercise and physical fitness obviously require time and effort. But to excel -- and why bother to undertake an undertaking unless you expect to exceed -- you must have passion. Passion is unbridled enthusiasm, energized desire, inner excitement. It is not going through the motions, aimless poking along. Passion comes from within, from the heart, and it is stimulated by an outside source, motivation. Traced to its roots, passion is kin to inspiration."
Dave Draper, Confession of a Lifter


Hmm...I guess I should probably update this thing since I haven't had a real update in a while, eh?? First, and the worst of my news (I think), my poor Colorado Avalanche got swept outta the second round of the Finals. SWEPT! For those of you who aren't familiar with sports terminology, to be swept (v.) means that one has not won a game in a whole series. Since NHL Finals are best-of-seven series, it takes four games to win. Basically, my Avs lost four straight games. Four. Straight. Games. Lost. *sigh* The only thing that kinda takes the sting outta it was that at least they made it to the second round...unlike another a team I'm quite unfond of.

Let's see...what else...Oh. I haven't heard from my Army recruiter in weeks. I hear from the Marine and Air Force recruiter at least once a week. I've learned that, with this particular Marine recruiter, you cannot not talk to him for a coupla days, or else he gets all in a panic that you're dead or something. I went to Chicago last week for a few days to visit my best friend (it was her birthday), and I lost my phone. Found it (please don't ask where) and had like, 15 voicemails and a coupla text messages from him. It made me laugh. I had no way to get ahold of him because I didn't have his card, so the last time I was at his office, he gave me his card..."Now you don't have an excuse!" Damn. He's pretty confident (which is reassuring) that he can get me in the Corps by the end of the month (today is the 20th...there are only 11 days left of the month) and ship on the 5th of June. See, unlike the other branches, if I can pass an Initial Strength Test with a semi-first class score, they can get me a waiver for my weight and stuff. Now, I don't understand why the Marines can do this, but no other branch can. Granted...that flexed arm hang kills me. I have the weakest grip EVER. *sigh* It's only a minute of my life...haha...

...so, yeah, I can become a Marine, but do I want to? That's the question I've been wrestling with ever since the recruiter dropped the news. It's in my heart to be a Marine, but is that enough? Of course, I always tell people to follow their own hearts...take my own advice, eh?? I over-analyze every little decision I make...but this one is a big'un! Think it's time to write a pro/con list...is it bad I'm having this hard of a time deciding on a branch!?

In the meantime, I've been applying to FBI/CIA jobs that I get in my email that I might be even minimally qualified for. It just sucks because I lack any law enforcement experience. My dad apparently is gonna work his charm and get me a spot as a reserve deputy on the Sheriff's Department. It's unpaid, but law enforcement experience. I still have the test date for the Border Patrol on 20 June 2006, so that's good to go...I've also enrolled in some online classes through FEMA and the National Emergency Training Center. Currently, I'm enrolled in "Principles of Emergency Management," "Introduction to Mitigation," "Emergency Response to Terrorism," "Introduction to Hazardous Materials," "Diaster Basics," "Hazardous Materials Prevention," and "Introduction CERT." What can I say? I like to keep myself busy...They're all self-study, so I go at my own pace. Gives me something to do at work, that's for sure. Plus, makes me more marketable to say I've taken such-and-such courses through a government-funded agency, ya know?

That's really all that's been going on. I picked up one day at work. Woo. Friday and Sunday are mine!! Hahaha...although, my boss just injured himself, so I might get some morning shifts, too...WOO! Unless of course they give 'em to the new kid. In which case, I'd quit. Fuck 'em. I've worked there for over two years. *sigh*

3 Comments:

  • At 20 May, 2006 17:37, Blogger SFC B said…

    Each service sets their own standards. The ARMS test for the Army has just been implemented in PHX and we used it to enlist someone last week, so there is gaining flexibility, but there's always going to have to be a cutoff somewhere, and people who should meet the cutoff but don't, and people who do meet the cutoff, but shouldn't. Unfortunaly I doubt any service will ever be allowed to approve/deny someone just because "it feels right". Good luck with improving your grip and learning to hang. As I've always said, I don't care which boots you're wearing, as long as you're wearing them.

     
  • At 21 May, 2006 14:33, Blogger Soxfan said…

    Yeah I agree with SFC B, boots are boots...well American boots are American boots. Anyways, good luck with the whole FBI/CIA/Border Patrol thing... have you thought about what job you'd want to do in the Marines?

     
  • At 21 May, 2006 18:18, Blogger SuGaRBuTT said…

    Always American boots...

    There are a coupla jobs I'd like in the Marines - MAGTF, Intel, or Linguist...we'll see...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home