Not as Easy as It Looks

This is just the mindless ramblings of a college graduate (double major in political science and criminal justice) and her attempts to join the United States military. You better start here...

17 January 2006

Follow Your Heart

"I am proud of my Country and its flag. I want to look back and say that I am proud to have served my Country as a soldier."
Last line of the Soldier's Code


Whenever someone comes to me for advice, I always end up telling the same thing - follow your heart. It's time for me to take my own advice.

Lately, people have come up to me and asked me why I'm still around...I tell that what happened with my reno and everything, and they get all pissed and stuff. THEY'RE PISSED!?!? How do they think I feel?? But then, I just shake my head and tell them, "Hey, if I didn't want this more than anything in my life, I would give up and get a civie job." They then shake THEIR heads and walk away, saddened it seems, by some college-educated girl who they think is wasting her life by enlisting in the military. I'm sick of explaining myself to people. Like I told my recruiter, there is nothing in my life that I've done that has produced the same feeling that enlisting has. I'm sure the next time I feel that will be on the parade deck at BCT graduation, when I can finally actually say I'm officially a soldier. Sure, that's been postponed, but I've gone through the motions of anger and frustration, took the weekend off (okay, slept the weekend off), and started back full-steam ahead Monday morning. There really are no words for how proud I am to be an American, and that sounds so corny and crap, but it's true. Yeah, there are things about the US that I hate, but I've studied enough politics to know that we have it way better than most countries around the world.

I have been been delayed, but I have not been deterred from reaching my goals. I will be a Soldier and I will make my country proud of me.

Okay...done rambling...Just felt like getting that off my chest.

1 Comments:

  • At 17 January, 2006 12:58, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HOOAH! America needs more women like you. I would give anything if I could go back in the Army. The most foolish thing I ever did in my life was ETS in 1988. I miss it so much. I wish you all the best on your career and I know with you attitude you will make a hell of a warrior and, in a few years, a great NCO. You, dear lady, are what the Army needs more of.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home